Monday, December 9, 2013

[Review] LSM4227 Stem Cell Biology

This module is totally something unexpected. I would say it is a difficult module but it is also one of my favourite (besides LSM3232 Immunology). There are four profs but the main prof is Chan Woon Khiong *hopefully I got his name spelt correctly*.. and the way he teaches is really... different and unique. I go into lecture and come out, not understanding at all what has happened over the past two hours. I think it is better if you have some sort of background in developmental biology although there isn't any pre-requisite for this module. This module, as the name suggests, is really about stem cell and how we get stem cells, their characteristics and how we can apply in regenerational medicine.

There are three CAs.. each comprising of 5%, 5% and 10%. The first two CAs are by Prof Chan and the final CA is a combination of the remaining three profs. The CAs are usually like 5 MCQs and then some short SAQs (REALLY SHORT). I would say that the CAs tests more on memory and a little on application.

There is  also an assignment (essay) which is 20%, again from Prof Chan. The questions are.....somewhat unique. Definitely not the straightforward kind of questions but questions that require you to read a lot of papers and think! For people who can't think out of the box, it's really quite daunting. But if you're the kind that has no problems in expressing your own ideas and thoughts, then yes, this essay is definitely interesting. There are a few questions set out and you have to sign up for one. Please choose wisely because you can't change your topic after you have selected unless you send an email to Prof Chan.

The final is 60%. All essays. 5 questions pick 3! Obviously one from each prof will be tested. So the trick here is to study what you know best. You can leave out topics from ONE prof if you think you will most definitely not answer his questions. But hey, who knows, the other questions might be tougher. Some questions are memory based while some are application based.

All in all, I would say this module is a very interesting module. Would I recommend it? Yes. It is a tough module but I really enjoyed myself while studying. I learnt many new things which I think I will still remember even after exams.

1 comment:

Adeline said...

Hello! I was looking at reviews for LSM 4000 modules and chanced upon your blog. May I ask how did you score for this module? As I would like to know if the bell curve is steep / this module is hard to score in general. Sorry for this random comment and thanks so much!